As some of you know, we don’t recommend extruded breakfast cereals. Sally Fallon Morell and Mary Enig published this homemade breakfast cereal recipe in their book Eat Fat Lose Fat. The recipe is reprinted by permission. The photos are provided courtesy of Poppy Barach and shared by permission.
- 6 cups [organic] whole-wheat or spelt flour
- 3 cups whole milk, preferably raw
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup of homemade whey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon natural maple flavoring
- In a large bowl mix flour, milk, water and whey, cover, and leave out at room temperature overnight.
- In the morning add the rest of the ingredients and more water if needed to make a pourable batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare two 9″ x 13″ baking pans with coconut oil [or butter] and pour half the batter into each. Bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. See photo.
- Remove from oven and lower oven temperature to 200°F.
- Allow cereal to cool, then crumble onto baking sheets. Bake until completely dry and hard, about 1 hour.
- To get a uniform size, process in batches in a food processor.
- Store in airtight containers at room temperature.
- To serve, add raw milk or cream diluted with water and raisins or fresh fruit. Allow cereal to soften int he milk or cream slightly before eating.